Sunday, November 23, 2008

Vigilant(e)

I hadn't been to mass for a while so I was so happy and relieved to go today. The gospel went something like this:

On the last day, Jesus will say to those on His right hand, "Come, enter the Kingdom. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was sick and you visited me." Then Jesus will turn to those on His left hand and say, "Depart from me because I was hungry and you did not feed me, I was thirsty and you did not give me to drink, I was sick and you did not visit me." These will ask Him, "When did we see You hungry, or thirsty or sick and did not come to Your help?" And Jesus will answer them, "Whatever you neglected to do unto one of these least of these, you neglected to do unto Me!"

I liked to think that God was within everyone and being kind to everyone was a good thing. The priest then asked us how many of us would help someone who has fallen down on the street. He said sometimes we are not observant enough. And if we noticed such things, were we going to do anything about them? For doing nothing to allow sin was just as bad. He mentioned the movie, "The Accused" which I now would like to see. It is supposedly about how people in a crowded bar refuse to step forward as witnesses to a rape. He mentioned how an old travelling couple called the cops about a bar fight because the locals didn't even lift a finger about it. The cops arrived just to tell them, "Oh it's private."

He said we have a Don't-Get-Involved attitude. So if someone came up to us in need of any kind, we shun them immediately. But we can all help even in the smallest ways, like just simply being a listener. And sometimes, those in need do not announce it. And that's where we need to be observant enough, or simple, caring enough.

I was just thinking of how I'd like to be a vigilante. I guess being vigilant is a good start.

I would help someone up if he or she fell down in the street. I have often shared my umbrella with some strangers and it was sweet how a woman once shared hers with me! We even had a very nice conversation about theatre. Now that brings me to another thing: Karma.

I do believe karma does exist but it is not crucial to my existence. If I had kids, I would tell them to do what is right simply because it is. Don't do something to receive good karma, to gain graces or points or to get into heaven. Because that becomes selfish and you end up thinking ultimately about yourself. "What do I get in return? I want to have good Karma. I want to go to Heaven. I deserve to." How can one say that? How can one judge that in his or her own favour? Doesn't that seem the least bit arrogant, self-righteous or greedy? Can't we just do what's good simply because it is the right thing to do? And if we lose out or get taken advantage of and never get anything in return, didn't we still do the right thing?

It's ok. I'm often a horrid judge of anything (especially character; just believe in the best), so I'll just still do what I sincerely feel is right. I only hope my empathy is abundant, and my conscience is reliable. Oh and I must be vigilant. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home