Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Definition of Catholic

While at work yesterday, I revealed to a colleague that I was learning numerology. She asked if I was christian, and my answer was "I'm Catholic." which prompted her to ask if it was appropriate for me to practise numerology. I then shared with her my concept of Heaven and religion. Before my dad passed, he asked the priest, "So many people believe that they are going to heaven and the rest are not. So who's going and who's not?" The priest replied, "Everyone is going to the same destination but we have different maps." That illustrated what I felt best.

She was a little apalled, saying those who aren't Christians will not go to Heaven. She didn't say the word "hell"; perhaps it makes her uncomfortable. I just said no one can judge and no one really knows. No one except God, I thought. So I explained that I'd just do what feels true and right to me and not worry about whether it will bring me any glory or reward. I deeply believe that God, the creator, or whomever you might refer to him or her as, would recognise true sincerity and kindness. A person's religion doesn't matter to me, but his or her all-emcompassing love, kindness and humbleness do. In fact, my favourite quotes from the bible (not that I am an avid bible reader) are all about love and kindness:

John 3:10 - Anyone who does not do what is right or does not love his brother is not God's child.
John 3:16 - We too, then, ought to give our lives for our brothers!
John 3:17 - If a rich person sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against his brother, how can he claim that he loves God?
John 3:18 - My children, our love should not be just words and talk; it must be true love, which shows itself in action.
John 4:20 - If someone says he loves God, but hates his brother, he is a liar.

Isn't God, love and understanding for everyone? I think she might think I sound a little too liberal as a catholic. After all, here's what the dictionary says:

cath⋅o⋅lic
1. broad or wide-ranging in tastes, interests, or the like; having sympathies with all; broad-minded; liberal.
2. universal in extent; involving all; of interest to all.
3. pertaining to the whole Christian body or church.

The definitions also included:
- Including or concerning all humankind; universal: "what was of catholic rather than national interest" (J.A. Froude).
- Free from provincial prejudices or attachments.
- Not narrow-minded, partial, or bigoted; liberal.

I hope I am not wrong, becuase it feels right within my soul, my conscience. Guardian angel, what do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home