Thursday, July 18, 2013

Objective Space Planning

So here I am, on a crowded bus at 6:33pm. I got on at 6pm and the driver had to tell new passengers to wait for the next bus. The bus was simply too full.

It's a strange yet typical sight: the squeezing and cramming yet the desire to maintain a little personal space bubble around oneself. So we don't really squeeze to the vehicle's full capacity. When it's rush hour, I can't help but rearrange and pack the passengers in my mind as though they were socks in a full drawer.

Now what I find even more amusing is the fact that so many people love being at the front. We have been lectured and reminded repeatedly to move in to the back, by teachers in schools, by the public service messages on bus billboards, and many a frustrated bus driver. I recall people saying, "Wah, at the back got ghost!" That was their sacarstic dig at explaining why this phenomenon happens at all.

So back to today, I found myself trying to fit into snug corners between random strangers. Soon I successfully inched my way to the back. Now this was a long double carriage bus; and what a waste it was! I felt like I had struggled from being entangled by seaweed underwater and had just broken through the surface. I could finally breathe! Space! (Now that's funny because we most likely won't be able to breathe in oxygen organically in space.)

Anyway, I had to look back, almost to laugh and scoff but I simply heaved a survivor's sigh of relief.

I think it's nice that the folks here still give seats up to the pregnant and very old. Sometimes parent will seat their kids on their laps which is great for saving space. Now I have another suggestion: we should give seating priority to very big or wide folks. That way, all the standing passengers have much more space and can see where the bus is at. When I pack luggage for a trip I like to put bulky and malleable items in containers I have to bring anyway, such as socks & knickers in a shoe. The more bulky items I fit into my container or shoe, I end up with more space in the bag itself. The same concept applies to a bus at 6pm I would think. The more big people we seat, the more standing room the rest of us will have! Viola!

I don't know how to ask a big person to take my seat when it's crowded though. With no judgement to be passed but to only help with maximising space objectively. That's another thought for another long trip.

Written July 18th, 2013, 7pm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home